College Kid Has Car

Q: I am adding my son to my auto insurance policy, and he'll be taking one of my cars with him to college. Does this mean that he'll be considered the principal driver on the policy?

If your son is borrowing your car to take with him to college, he must be listed as either a principal driver or an occasional driver on your insurance policy. Most insurance companies will consider someone as the principal driver on the policy if he or she:

Is the registered owner of the vehicle,
Drives the vehicle to work or school, or
Drives the vehicle more than anyone else.
Check with your insurance company to see if you should list your son as a principal driver, and if so, how your insurance coverage and premiums will be affected.

No comments: