Florida Car Insurance: An ABC Guide to Requirements

All Florida drivers are required to carry a minimum level of liability to the tune of ten thousand dollars for an accident involving a car with a single occupant, twenty thousand dollars for an accident involving a car with multiple occupants and ten thousand dollars for necessary property repairs, including those needed by the victim’s vehicle.

FL is a no fault state. In the event of an accident, regardless of who is at fault each driver’s own insurance company will see to their expenses. This means that all of its drivers are required to carry PIP (personal injury protection), or no fault, insurance at a minimum of ten thousand dollars. Their no fault insurance will pay for their medical expenses should they be in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. This will pay for a portion of medical benefits, lost wages and death benefits; the amount of coverage varies per company but is generally found in the vicinity of eighty percent, sixty percent and five thousand dollars, respectively.
PIP coverage will provide insurance benefits to the insured even in the event that they are not the driver of the vehicle if they are injured while in another person’s vehicle or injured while walking or riding a bike. PIP benefits will also extend to the child of the insured if they are injured on the school bus, passengers in the vehicle who do not have PIP, residents of their home or qualified other drivers driving their vehicle with their permission.
While it is not required most FL insurance companies suggest that all drivers carry comprehensive and collision insurance. This will pay for damages to their car should they be involved in an accident in which they were at fault. This is including (but not limited to) accidents involving wildlife, inclement weather and stationary objects, as well as moving vehicles.
As not all states require their drivers to obtain liability insurance it is recommended that all Floridians purchase an uninsured/underinsured motorist policy. This will provide coverage in the event that the insured is involved in a hit and run or an accident with a driver who either does not have liability insurance or whose insurance is so poor that it will not cover the costs of the damages resulting from the accident.
Many insurance companies will offer the added bonuses of rental insurance, gap coverage (which will pay the difference between the value of a vehicle and the amount remaining on its lien if the vehicle must be totaled) and reimbursement for towing services.
Further information can be found through the Office of Insurance Regulation in Tallahassee by contacting their office at (800) 342-2762 or visiting their website, http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=20.

No comments: