3/3/09

New York Traffic / Tickets / Court & Law Enforcement

Background: I have lived in new york city for approximately 14 months
and slowly I am getting adjusted (florida originally.) i've brought my
car with me and went through the registration process (which was a
living hell) and have been driving through the streets of the city for
all this time. I recently got a few tickets: a few parking, one for
speeding, and one for passing a red light. I must say that police
officers here arent the best of your kind, and do not let you off for
any reason, even if it was a proper one.

My request is for the following sort of information:

1) List of ALL (or atleast most) non-basic driving rules in new york.
Nothing of sort like that you have to stop on the red light, or not
drive while influenced. Im interested in things like what I must do
in certain traffic situations, or speed limits in certain areas of the
city (and surrounding areas), regulations and so on.

2) Sites offering help, assistance, guidance, and guideliness on how
to fight tickets in new york. Now i'm not referring to the
instructions (sign here, attach an explanation, mail) sort of stuff,
but more of a hints on how one can win in court if plead not guilty. I
have two cases where I really am not guilty, but having the knowledge
of how and what to do can always be a great backup. The more you can
find on subjects like: how to properly talk to a judge, how to proove
your point and be understood, how to properly present your case, what
sort of things can have a judge dismiss your case (sign painted over,
the light was malfunctioning, you had a heart attack and had to stop),
and so on.

3) Information on how to deal with the representatives of the law. It
can be either a "know your rights and flip the finger" type of
articles, or the "passive but safe". I've seen a few of these before,
usually they speak of topics like not incriminating yourself, keeping
yourself calm, knowing what the officer has the right to do and not do
in a situation and therefore prohibiting a certain action to be done.
This doesnt have to relate to a traffic situation only.

Please do not bother to read all of the data you find. I would rather
have you present me more links than a summary of the sites. A simple
title, link and a few words describing what the article is about is
what I need.

Always consider the fact that I tip for a job well done.


Answer:

It was a pleasure to answer your question. What I have compiled here
is a list of websites that cater to everything from non-basic driving
laws in the New York City to avoiding traffic tickets. In between, you
will also find tips and tricks by several people on how you may avoid
being caught and if you are penalized, how you may challenge that in
court. There are also articles that contain information on how you
should act, if you are nabbed speeding. A couple of web pages will
also provide information on the traffic spots in New York where there
are police officers hiding around the corner and spots where there are
traffic cameras installed to detect any traffic violation.

Most of the web pages that I selected are specifically tailored
towards New York traffic problems. There are a few pages that are not
focused on the New York metro area but are still useful. I included
these pages and articles because things such as ?how to speak to a
state trooper when caught? are universal.

I haven?t really put the web pages in any order of preference
therefore it is highly recommended that you review every link. You
will notice that I am providing you forty links to the articles. Yes,
I could have provided you hundred but those articles would have been
repetitive and useless for your cause.

In concluding, I will just mention that you should get the entire
information that you seek after reading these articles. I have
personally put every effort to include everything that a driver will
require while driving in the New York City. Please be aware that
various articles are a conglomerate of everything i.e. there aren?t
any articles that will explicitly brief you on how to speak with the
traffic police but almost all articles will tell you everything you
should do in case of being penalized.

I hope I have covered everything but rest assured that I will work
with you on this issue until you are satisfied. Please let me know, if
you are not satisfied with this answer and I shall do anything to help
your cause. Thank You.

No comments: