Car Insurance For 17 Year-Olds

17 year olds are generally not going to be aware that they have to have car insurance if they want to be legal on the road (nor can they probably afford it) so it is up to you, as their parent, to find the best insurance for 17 year olds that you can get.

It goes without saying that your teenager must have car insurance in the UK. Failure to be driving an insured car can result in a bad run-in with the law, something neither you nor your teenager wants on their record.

One of the best ways of getting a reasonable premium is to send your teen to a certified driving instructor course. 17 year olds are known to be reckless drivers, with statistics showing that 38 percent of claims made to insurance companies are by 17 to 18 year olds. Not only will a driving course give your teen the confidence and skills they need on the road, which will make them more responsible and safer on the road, it will also contribute in a very good way towards lower insurance premiums.

Before you do that, though, your teen will need to apply for a provisional driving license. You can order a "D1 Pack" from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) at their website dvla.gov.uk (see "Online Services" and then "Online Form Ordering") to apply for one, or pick up the pack at the nearest post office. Overall, the application should cost you or your teen about £50.

Remember, when your teen is still a learner driver they are not allowed to drive on the motorways. This is really for their own good as the majority of fatal accidents in the UK happen on the motorways. However, the Pass Plus course - designed by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) - has been created to teach drivers how to drive in adverse weather conditions and on the motorways. It basically focuses around avoiding hazards, knowing the car, driving at night, driving on duel carriageways, and driving in town or rural areas. It focuses on giving a positive outlook towards driving and building both skill and confidence with its students. For 17 year olds, the Pass Plus is the ideal course in ensuring they are confident and safe on the road. 17 year olds who need car insurance can find much lower premiums having done the course.

You don't want your teen having any run-ins with the law and so you need to also remember some of the other rules revolving around learner drivers:

Firstly, make sure that the L-Plate is visible on both the rear and front of the car. The car must have an L-Plate, and it needs to be of the certified kind - home made L-Plates (Or, D-Plates in Wales) will not do.

Secondly, the car your 17 year old is driving must be roadworthy and have a MOT certificate, as well as be up to date on its taxes.

Thirdly, a 17 year old learner driver must be accompanied in the vehicle by a driver who is fully qualified, over 21, and has a license of at least three years.

Fourthly, 17 year olds must have their eyes tested before getting on the road (this is just a good idea) and any illness such as diabetes or epilepsy must be reported to the insurance company otherwise it is insurance fraud.

Finding car insurance for 17 year olds that's well priced will take some shopping on your part, but the effort is well worth it. Many insurance companies will offer some significant discounts for doing the driving courses, as well as have no-claims discounts of nine months to a year so that a 17 year old can take advantage, as soon as they can, of driving responsibly.

No comments: